Friday, August 14, 2026

Rawmny addresses the influence of his different sides in ‘Habeshinated’

Photo credit: Bingham Kiros

By Max Bowen


Toronto-based artist Rawmny Wildcat, (pronounced Raw Money Wildcat) recently released his new single "Manew," the lead track from his album 'Habeshinated', both out now.

Born in Addis Ababa and now in Toronto, the producer, songwriter and vocalist has crafted a song that fuses hip hop, soul and East African sound into a powerful declaration of who he is and where he comes from.

"Manew" means "who is it" in Amharic, and Rawmny turns that simple question into a thesis on identity, lineage and earning your place.

Website: www.rawmnywildcat.com

Tell me about your album “Habeshinated” and what people can expect?
My album, “Habeshinated,” is a deeply personal fusion of hip-hop, R&B, Afrobeat, and Ethiopian musical influences. It reflects my journey as an Ethiopian-born artist growing up between two cultures and finding my voice in Toronto. People can expect powerful storytelling, infectious rhythms, soulful melodies, and thought-provoking lyrics about identity, love, culture, migration, Africa, and the diaspora experience. I wanted to create something that feels authentically African while still sounding global and contemporary. “Habeshinated” is more than an album—it’s a celebration of where I come from, where I am, and where I believe we can go. I invite listeners to experience the culture, energy, struggles, dreams, and spirit behind Rawmny Wildcat.

Did this take you in any new directions in terms of music or lyrics?
Absolutely. “Habeshinated” pushed me into new creative territory, both musically and lyrically. I became more intentional about blending Ethiopian sounds, rhythms, and cultural references with hip-hop, R&B and Afrobeat. Lyrically, I allowed myself to be more vulnerable and reflective, exploring identity, immigration, love, African unity and the experience of living between cultures. I also experimented with different flows, melodies, and storytelling approaches, rather than staying within one sound. This album challenged me to embrace all sides of who I am as an artist and as an Ethiopian-Canadian. I believe “Habeshinated” represents a more mature, confident, and culturally connected version of Rawmny Wildcat.

I read that the album came about as a sort of personal homecoming. What was the experience for you?
Creating “Habeshinated” felt like coming home to myself. Growing up in Ethiopia and later moving to Canada, I’ve always carried two worlds within me. For years, I explored different sounds and identities, but this album gave me the freedom to reconnect deeply with my Ethiopian roots and the memories, rhythms, and stories that shaped me. It was emotional because I realized that home isn’t only a place—it’s also a feeling, a language, a culture, and the people who shaped you. Making this album allowed me to embrace that connection without losing the Canadian influences that are also part of me. “Habeshinated” is my way of bringing those worlds together and celebrating the journey.

How did this affect you personally and as an artist?
Personally, “Habeshinated” gave me a deeper sense of identity and belonging. It made me reflect on my journey from Ethiopia to Canada and appreciate how both cultures have shaped who I am. As an artist, it gave me the confidence to stop trying to fit into a particular box and fully embrace my influences. I became more fearless in blending Ethiopian sounds and storytelling with hip-hop, R&B, and Afrobeat. The process also reminded me why I started making music in the first place—to tell authentic stories and connect with people. I feel that “Habeshinated” represents a more honest, mature, and confident version of Rawmny Wildcat, both creatively and personally.

What’s the message of Manew that you hope the listeners take away from this?
With Manew, I want listeners to reflect on identity, connection, and the journey of discovering who you really are. The song carries a message of self-awareness and cultural pride, while also encouraging people to embrace their roots and remain true to themselves. For me, Manew is about asking the deeper question: “Who am I?”—not just as an individual, but in relation to my culture, my experiences, and the world around me. I hope listeners feel the emotion and energy of the song, but also connect with its deeper meaning. Ultimately, I want Manew to inspire people to own their story, embrace their uniqueness, and never be afraid to ask themselves that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment