Monday, August 3, 2026

Five by Five—Listening for signs from the departed

Tara Badstubner
By Max Bowen 

Tara Badstubner's debut “Every Room Remembers” (Sibylline Press, Sept 25, 2026) is a portrayal of a young widow’s journey following the sudden loss of her husband, where signs from the natural world and the community she always needed guide her toward healing.

The novel shows "both sides" of grief by alternating points of view between the grieving widow and her ghost husband who watches over her. 

In this interview, Tara talks about the inspiration for the book’s dual points of view, if she believes the deceased can pass on messages to the living and the message to readers.

What inspired the dual points of view and how does this shape the story?
The dual point of view emerged after I went to upstate New York to be a part of a writing cohort. There were four of us staying in a Victorian mansion, and on the third night, all of us together, experienced an undeniable haunting. This strange event got me thinking about the inherent loss of the bereaved but also the departed. I wondered what it might be like to have an unfinished life, dreams and aspirations, yet be yanked out of life into a liminal space, a ghost.

What inspired this book?
The initial germ of the idea came about during COVID. I, like so many other people, was struggling with the daily toll of the pandemic. It was taking up a lot of mental space, this fear of losing someone dear to me. A good friend encouraged me to write into my fears instead of trying to squash them or deny them. This suggestion was a gift. It completely changed my relationship with this fear of loss. I realized through my protagonist, SJ, that, yes, there was this fear of death, but there was also a dogged hope, a grit. I didn't know this about myself until I wrote this novel.

Do you believe that the departed can send signs to the living?
Yes, I do believe the departed send signs to the living, but I also believe the living need to be in a receptive state to see the signs, the communication. I think grief can be such a tsunami of emotions that often we're unable to perceive the subtle ways the departed try to reach us. I think a degree of emotional quiet needs to be present to truly perceive. Often, it is years after a loss, when there is finally a degree of peace present, that we notice unique signs from our loved ones.

What is the role of the natural world and SJ’s community in her healing?
The "natural world" is a catch-all phrase for all the wonderful ways the world shows up to help SJ through her deep mourning. Her dog, a snake, beetles, a curious fox, a Carolina wren—each of these shows up at pivotal moments in her life, each with a different role. Some of them act as harbingers of change; others act as protection and comfort; still others act as chaperones from one stage of life to the next. This goes back to the idea of signs. Often, signs appear to us from the "natural world," but we must be looking for them.

Is there a message that you hope readers take from this?
I hope a reader, especially one who has experienced deep loss, might read this novel and feel seen, but I also hope it might encourage a degree of curiosity. What signs might have been there all along that were missed? How has the world been trying to speak to me? If a person comes out of reading this book a degree or two more compassionate to those who are grieving and a bit more curious, I will feel all the effort had real purpose.

For more information, visit https://www.tarabadstubner.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment