Monday, October 14, 2024

Five By Five: Debut novel honors a grandmother’s love of nature

By Max Bowen

In her debut book, writer Adrianna Schuh blends some magic and romance in “Magic is in the Air.” The story follows Olivia Ayala, a fiercely independent Latina witch with cerebral palsy. In her small-town bakery in Addersfield, Rhode Island, Olivia crafts magical confections while raising her son and navigating life's challenges. Enter Draven James, a charming and mysterious man who stirs both the town's magic and Olivia's heart. As Olivia falls for Draven, she uncovers secrets threatening their haven and her dreams.

In this interview, Adrianna talks about what inspired her to write this book and how she created Olivia and the real-life story behind it.


I read that this is your first published novel. What inspired you to write this and how did “Magic Is In the Air” come to be your story?

I love witches. My grandma was a practicing witch and I grew up visiting Wiccan camps with her. She instilled in me a love of nature and the moon. And she taught me to believe in magic. The story is a bit of a love letter to her.

I’d like to know more about your main character, Olivia Ayala. What went into creating her?

Honestly, she's a mix of myself, my grandma, and my mom. I gave her my disability because I wanted to see more disability representation in romance. I was raised by a single mom, so Olivia has that strength and resilience. And she believes wholeheartedly in herself and the power of family. That's my grandma. I looked at all the powerhouse Mexican women in my life and channeled them into Olivia.

What do you hope readers learn or experience with Olivia’s story?

A sense of belonging. I hope they see this strong and beautiful witch and catch a glimpse of themselves. I hope she inspires readers to trust their guts and believe in themselves.

I’m a lifelong New Englander, and was intrigued that Rhode Island is the setting. Why, and how does this shape the story?

I was born and raised in the Midwest. But New England has always fascinated me. The history, the landscape, it just has this magical quality. And witches are a part of that. So it just felt so natural. To have the story set during fall in New England just made sense.

What is the magic that Olivia does? Do her abilities play a big role in the story?

She has the ability to cast spells with her words. She speaks a spell, and poof, magic. There's really a spell for almost everything. It just has to be vocalized. And it is the same for the other witches in the book. Her and her friends abilities play a very big role. It's really the centerpoint of the whole story. It was incredibly fun to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment