Monday, August 1, 2022

Leezy talks about the seduction of addiction in new single, “Cocaine Kisses

By Max Bowen

LA-based artist Leezy is no stranger to sharing her story, both the ups and the downs. In her single “Sierra,” she chronicled her battle with addiction at the age of 18. She continues this story with “Cocaine Kisses,” a melodic tale of the seductive side of addiction amidst the part culture.


Your last single, “Sierra,” dealt with your battle with drug addiction. “Cocaine Kisses” touches on a similar subject, but what is the story connected with it?
Cocaine Kisses is special because I started writing it before I got sober, and back then meant something totally different to me than it does now. I was partying a lot and going on these big benders. I was super high one night, and I was kissing this guy… and I thought “Cocaine kisses make it better,” and then I was like OH! SONG TITLE! It felt sexy and fun, and was very much a glamorized telling of everything I was actually going through. When I hear the song now, I think it really speaks to how seductive addiction can be, especially with how normalized party culture is. Social drug use can make us feel deeply connected to people, but in reality, it’s all a show; when you pull back the curtain, everyone is seeking an escape from something. I think it’s an important song to share because it highlights what I’m sure a lot of young people might be feeling– whether they’re an addict or not.




“Sierra” had a sound that shifted from mellow to intense, and I remember this matched with your experiences. “Cocaine Kisses” has a different flow, but how does it fit the story?
Cocaine Kisses is similar in that it builds as the song goes on– just as things intensified as I fell deeper into my addiction. The song (and addiction) sort of creeps up on you, it seems softer at the beginning, but when it hits you, it hits hard.


Do you plan to release more music around this subject?
Absolutely. I plan to keep sharing my story, and addiction/sobriety is a huge part of that.


Why is it important to share these experiences, given the stigma attached to those who struggle with substance abuse?
As I mentioned before, I think it highlights what I’m sure a lot of young people (addict or not) might be feeling these days. The only reason it’s stigmatized is because drug use is such a normalized part of socializing in your early teens / twenties— it’s supposed to be fun and sexy, right? So when someone is actually struggling, everyone’s like “what the fuck is wrong with her?” or “oh my god she’s crazy.” But no one really takes the time to check in on them, because the relationships you make in those environments tend to be super surface level. I’m so lucky that I did have people checking in on me, and that I was able to get sober at such a young age. Otherwise, I would have probably continued to romanticize the party culture and hit a much harder rock bottom.


What's your hope that people gain from listening to these singles?
I hope that my listeners can find a safe space in my music. I want to open up conversations about the uncomfortable stuff— getting rejected by a guy/girl, romanticizing drug use, going to rehab… I hope that in owning my story, they feel like they can own theirs.


You've got an amazing singing voice. Did it take awhile to make it sound like that?
Thank you! I think I’ve always been a natural singer. I mean, I grew up singing in the school choir and doing musical theater, so I guess I had some level of training there. However, as I’ve gotten older, I’ve definitely been able to experiment with different styles and find my true “voice.”


Your music was recently a part of the “Bittersweet Memories” album, along with Jaron Takach and Timothy Greer. Can you share your take on their music?
I had such a wonderful time working with Jaron and Tim! The instrumentals they composed were so beautiful and right up my alley, so it made for such an easy and amazing writing experience. I’m so grateful to be able to work with other talented artists, and with such a highly esteemed publishing company. Lucky me!


Artist Links

https://music.leezymusic.com/cocainekisses

https://www.instagram.com/leezymusic69/

https://www.facebook.com/leezymusic69

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJMoBqOmfZJxo6qUCCfIzgw

No comments:

Post a Comment