![]() |
| Chelsea Kim Long |
By Max Bowen
Raised in evangelical churches, Chelsea Kim Long had a clear vision of the Christian woman she was born to be, but after a traumatic birthing experience and postpartum depression, she found that vision―and her faith―shattered. Instead of giving up on her faith, she looked within and asked: What would Christianity beyond patriarchy look like?“Faithfully Dissident Daughters: Reclaiming Christian Womanhood Beyond Patriarchy” (Westminster John Knox Press, September 8, 2026) shows what it takes to reclaim Christian womanhood beyond the patriarchal influences that have historically marred Biblical interpretations.
In this article, Chelsea talks about her original vision of her Christian life, what happened to change it and how the patriarchy of the church has harmed women.
Learn more at www.chelseakimlong.com/
What happened to change your original vision of who you were supposed to be?
I did everything right, according to the conservative Christian world I grew up in. I was named Countess of Christianity at my Christian high school prom. Met the good Christian boy on a mission trip, married young, had a baby at 27. The birth didn't go the way I planned, and a few months in I was sobbing on the couch telling my husband I wanted my life back. That was supposed to be the happy ending. It was the beginning of a painful journey to a truer version of myself.
How did your perspective change?
Slowly, and not on purpose. I'd grown up holding two beliefs that don't work together: that I could hear God myself, and that if what I heard didn't match the church's interpretation, I was wrong. That trains you out of trusting yourself, which is great for keeping you controllable. Once I saw that the structure was built by men, and that their reading of the Bible worked well for men, I couldn't unsee it. When I left conservative church world, I didn't leave God; I went looking for a version of faith that let me see myself.
What kind of theological research did you do and what was learned?
Years of it, mostly deep dives on ancient Hebrew and Greek, feminist theology, and church history. The short version: the divine feminine has always existed in Christianity, and women have always led. El Shaddai, usually translated "God Almighty," shares a root with the Hebrew word for breast. Wisdom in Proverbs is a woman. Mary Magdalene was called Apostle to the Apostles in the early church, then recast as a prostitute by a sixth-century pope. Rome didn't correct that until 1969. In 1748, Moravians in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, carved a prayer to the Holy Spirit as Mother into stone that still stands.
How has the patriarchy in the church harmed women?
Purity culture teaches girls to be ashamed of their bodies while teaching boys they can't control theirs. Marriage and motherhood get sold to women as our highest aspiration. We get blamed for divorces and reproductive choices. We're expected to make our pain palatable and swallow our grief. Under all of it is training in not trusting yourself, which for me led to debilitating anxiety. Here's what I want people to hear: I had every advantage in that system and it still didn't work. That's not personal failure. That's the theology working as designed, to uplift some and suppress others.
What do you hope readers take from this?
That you don't have to pick. Most of the books I read while I was falling apart ended with the author leaving, and I closed every one of them a little disappointed, because I wanted to stay. I wanted to know if there was a version of this faith big enough to hold my actual life. That's my book. If you've ever been told that becoming more yourself means becoming less faithful, “Faithfully Dissident Daughters” argues the exact opposite. Your body, your anger, your intuition, all of it belongs.
What happened to change your original vision of who you were supposed to be?
I did everything right, according to the conservative Christian world I grew up in. I was named Countess of Christianity at my Christian high school prom. Met the good Christian boy on a mission trip, married young, had a baby at 27. The birth didn't go the way I planned, and a few months in I was sobbing on the couch telling my husband I wanted my life back. That was supposed to be the happy ending. It was the beginning of a painful journey to a truer version of myself.
How did your perspective change?
Slowly, and not on purpose. I'd grown up holding two beliefs that don't work together: that I could hear God myself, and that if what I heard didn't match the church's interpretation, I was wrong. That trains you out of trusting yourself, which is great for keeping you controllable. Once I saw that the structure was built by men, and that their reading of the Bible worked well for men, I couldn't unsee it. When I left conservative church world, I didn't leave God; I went looking for a version of faith that let me see myself.
What kind of theological research did you do and what was learned?
Years of it, mostly deep dives on ancient Hebrew and Greek, feminist theology, and church history. The short version: the divine feminine has always existed in Christianity, and women have always led. El Shaddai, usually translated "God Almighty," shares a root with the Hebrew word for breast. Wisdom in Proverbs is a woman. Mary Magdalene was called Apostle to the Apostles in the early church, then recast as a prostitute by a sixth-century pope. Rome didn't correct that until 1969. In 1748, Moravians in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, carved a prayer to the Holy Spirit as Mother into stone that still stands.
How has the patriarchy in the church harmed women?
Purity culture teaches girls to be ashamed of their bodies while teaching boys they can't control theirs. Marriage and motherhood get sold to women as our highest aspiration. We get blamed for divorces and reproductive choices. We're expected to make our pain palatable and swallow our grief. Under all of it is training in not trusting yourself, which for me led to debilitating anxiety. Here's what I want people to hear: I had every advantage in that system and it still didn't work. That's not personal failure. That's the theology working as designed, to uplift some and suppress others.
What do you hope readers take from this?
That you don't have to pick. Most of the books I read while I was falling apart ended with the author leaving, and I closed every one of them a little disappointed, because I wanted to stay. I wanted to know if there was a version of this faith big enough to hold my actual life. That's my book. If you've ever been told that becoming more yourself means becoming less faithful, “Faithfully Dissident Daughters” argues the exact opposite. Your body, your anger, your intuition, all of it belongs.

No comments:
Post a Comment