Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Citywide Comic Spotlight: Night Owls and Summer Skies

Author: Rebecca Sullivan (Twitter/Instagram)

Illustrator: TIKKLIL  (Twitter/Instagram)

Publisher: WEBTOON



Based on a book of the same name, I was quickly drawn in through main character Emma Jane, who’s left at Camp Mapplewood for the summer by her mom. Determined to get kicked out (through some hilarious plans), things change when she meets Assistant Camp Counselor Vivian Black, with whom she forms an unexpected bond.

The story, written by Rebecca Sullivan, has a mellow pace, which ties in well with the summer season. At the same time, there’s a lot to unpack and I found myself relating to some of the challenges. Emma, Vivian, and the rest of the cast all have a role, whether it’s goofy counselor, unexpected friend, or camp bully. It’s all realistic and I find myself choosing favorites pretty quickly. There’s some great hints as to different aspects of the characters’ lives and I hope we learn more as the story continues.

The artwork of TIKKLIL is really beautiful. Like the story, it’s got a chill vibe and the coloring is on point. Scenes are skillfully set, and the diversity of thought comes through with the characters.

This webcomic came up as a recommendation and I’m glad I decided to check it out. It’s a great read for those looking for an exciting, at times intense, love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment