Monday, January 14, 2019

Book Review: The Maddie Chronicles, by Hannah Goodman

Editor's Note: This book was sent to me by the author with a request that I write a review, which I'm happy to do. That said, what I've written is my own and not influenced or seen ahead of time by anyone. 

Author Hannah Goodman's book, "The Maddie Chronicles," is an incredibly heartfelt story clearly written from the soul. From the opening bell, we're introduced to the family of Maddie Hickman, a collection of folks that manage to maintain pretty strong bonds despite a number of obstacles. Just like any family, am I right? Chapter 1 opens with the wedding of Maddie's sister, an occasion of great joy that only barely avoids disaster. Trust me, this is not the kind of book to start big and slope downward. It's a roller coaster from here on out.

In reading this, I feel an immediate connection with Maddie, a lover of self-help books who treasures time with her father and is painfully navigating the bumpy road of young adulthood. She's an "old soul" who reminds me of a plate spinner with a tad too many disks in the air. But she keeps it going, though at times we're reminded of the price paid along the way. I feel this connection, not just because of shared circumstances, but because it all feels so damn real.

Hannah writes with such passion and realism that I swear it's an autobiography. She's crafted a wide array of characters that each bring something different to the table. Whether it’s Justin’s struggle with his personal demons and the collateral damage caused to Maddie's own life, her sister’s seemingly endless quest to get her life together, or her friends’ exploration into what it really means to be “together,” there's a lot of times where you'll nod and think, "Yep, I remember what that was like." This book is hard to put down, and it's worth risking being late for work to get through a couple more chapters.

To purchase any of Hannah Goodman's books, visit her Amazon page.

1 comment:

  1. Max, This is such a terrific review of my books! Thank you for reading! The "plate spinner" analogy is an awesome visual that is spot on. Thank you so much for taking the time to read and post!

    ReplyDelete