Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Citywide Comic Spotlight—Dark Spaces: Wildfire

Writer: Scott Snyder

Artist: Hayden Sherman

Publisher: IDW Publishing


I’m a big fan of Scott Snyder’s comics, so hearing that he was involved in this series is all I need to know.

Set during the historic Arroyo Fire, a crew of women from an inmate firefighting program are risking everything when a new recruit, a white-collar convict, discovers they’re mere miles from her crooked former boss’ mansion. She proposes they abandon their duties and hunt for riches under the cover of smoke and ash, a shot at a score that would change their lives…one way or another.

It was the cast of characters that hooked me the most. Snyder’s work has always featured a cast so real, you’d swear it’s a true story. Such is the case with “Wildfire.” The women in this firefighting unit have such reality and depth to them and it’s their struggle for a better life that really got to me. Even if they serve their sentences, what will await them afterward? But a score that could set them up for several lifetimes, who wouldn’t risk that?

The story had some great twists which I honestly didn’t see coming. I had intended to just read one issue and come back to it later, but before I knew it I had downloaded the entire series and was eagerly checking it out.

Alongside the gripping story is the artwork of Hayden Sherman. It’s downright trippy at times, and the mood of each scene really jumps off the page. Whether it’s looking back at each characters’ past, the time spent fighting the fire, or the more mellow scenes, I was really drawn in by Sherman’s art. He’s got a real gift for capturing the feelings portrayed by the story.

“Dark Spaces: Wildfire” is a real pleasure to read, and I plan to do so again. Something tells me that you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment