Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Kristian Montgomery shares stories and souls in new album

"Price of Poverty," the 2021 release from the Massachusetts-based  Kristian Montgomery and the Winterkill Band is an authentic, honest take on the world and the lives that comprise it. The vibe I get is that we’re presented with these tales and takes and we’re left to make of it what we will. If we like it, cool, and if we don’t, that’s fine too. The band has a story to share and share it they will. 

There’s a lot of stories told in this album, but there’s a few that stuck to me. “A Warm Grave” tells the story of a grandfather, the times spent together and memories made. This one got to me, because it reminds me a lot of my own grandfather, 95 years old and still kicking. I learned a lot from him when it came to working for a living and valuing family over things.

“Soul For Soul” shows that we all have a past, with one side bringing up the other’s. It’s easy to relate to, because we’ve all faced judgment for our past. As one line goes, “I’ll match you soul for soul.” That one really sticks with me.

“American Fire” is an unflinching look at the US as it is today. The song talks about us losing our will, our voices stilled, as the folks in charge sell out the country to the highest bidder. If this isn’t a cautionary tale about our need to stand up and take ownership of the ground we walk on, show me what is.

When it comes to the sound of the album, I like the wandering feel. “They’ll Remember My Name” kicks things off with an avalanche of sound, and following it, “Tired of Being Tired” is a more mellow, walking-pace kind of song. I think it matches life pretty well—one minute things are chaos and the next, it’s chill.

Overall, “Prince of Poverty” is a solid and strong mix of music that shares a lot. Either you like it or you don’t. It’s a story that this band will tell. It’s on you to decide where you want to go with it.

For more information on Kristian Montgomery and the Winterkill Band, visit kmwkb.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment