▼

Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Five by Five—Family is at the heart of “My Guardian Dear”

By Max Bowen

Inspired by her desire to teach children to connect with their own creativity, friends, and faith, debut author Brittany Druker is releasing “My Guardian Dear” (Blue Hat Publishing, October 13, 2026). This interactive picture book consists of a fun rhyme scheme, vivid illustrations, activity pages, and collectible trading cards.

This picture book shares the story of a boy who learns to call on his guardian angel for help in both big things and small, including his dearest wish: becoming the MVP of his basketball team! Thanks to an easy-to-remember prayer, he learns to have faith that God will guide his steps, and he learns to share his faith with his friends. 

Learn more at https://thehive5.com.

What was the inspiration for this, your debut book?
My family is truly at the heart of this book—from my grandparents watching over us in heaven to the kids I’m lucky enough to raise and learn from every day. They’re my hive, and they’re the reason this story came to be. “My Guardian Dear” is actually part of a larger project called hiVe5 (www.thehive5.com), which is all about inspiring kids to connect through shared faith, gratitude, and creativity, no matter what season of life they’re in. The book comes with three angel prayer cards—one to keep and two to give away as tokens of thanks to the people in their lives who support them and show those everyday “guardian angel” qualities.

How do you frame a teaching of creativity, friends, and faith for a younger audience?
For me, it’s all about making it fun and accessible. I use story, rhyme, and playful illustrations—plus those three special prayer trading cards kids can actually share with others. When you mix creativity, friendship, and faith in a way that feels like play, it’s amazing how naturally kids connect with the message.

I like the idea for the playing cards. How did this come about?
The inspiration for the prayer cards comes from both sides of my family life: my nana’s cherished collection of traditional mass and prayer cards, and the sports trading cards my kids and husband love to collect. My nana was a devout Catholic, and even in her final years—bedridden, blind and nearly deaf—her spirit was unshakable. She was gracious, funny and always thinking of others.

During our long talks, she’d often ask me to read her prayer cards aloud. One day, she chose the Prayer of St. Francis and explained why it meant so much to her—how she wished everyone could live by those words. Hearing that prayer, and watching her embody it even in the toughest times, deeply moved me. I took a photo of that particular prayer card and began sharing it with friends, either by talking about it or sending the image in a text. I saw how meaningful it was to pass along a piece of faith in this simple way. As a mom of three, I wanted to create a way for kids to learn and share prayer, too. That’s how “My Guardian Dear” took shape—including special prayer trading cards just for kids, so they could carry that message and share it with others.

Tell me about the process of working with Justin Dunn for the illustrations.
At first, I thought I might illustrate the book myself, but I’m so grateful Justin came on board. By the time we connected, I’d already gathered a bunch of sketches and ideas for the book’s look and feel. Justin jumped right in, took in my vision, and then worked his magic—he brought new perspectives and made everything even better than I’d imagined. We started with sketches of the main character, our boy, and seeing those first drawings was when the book really started to come alive for me. The whole process taught me so much about how creative projects evolve—bit by bit, and then, suddenly, all at once.

What’s the message that you hope to leave with the readers?
I hope readers are inspired to say the prayer, to look for the “angels” in their own lives, and to connect with others through faith and creativity. Write the letter, take the shot—whatever it is, just try. Even if things don’t turn out exactly as you hoped, be grateful. Sometimes the lesson or blessing is in the journey, and that’s what helps us grow and share our faith with others.


No comments:

Post a Comment